Serving Central Ohio Since 1983

Enforcing Child Support Orders That Have Been Ignored

It often happens that parents fall behind in their child support payments. Seeking enforcement of your child support order is the best way to ensure payment. But no court will order the enforcement of a simple agreement between two parents. The agreement must be part of a court order for a judge to take action.

When a noncustodial parent fails to make agreed-upon payment, the custodial parent can ask that the noncustodial parent be held in contempt. A contempt finding has real power behind it. The noncustodial parent can be fined or even jailed.

Exerting Legal Muscle To Obtain Support Enforcement

While contempt for failing to pay child support is a civil action, it is backed by the power to put the noncustodial parent in jail, often for as long as 90 days.

These are the most common enforcement mechanisms used by the courts:

  • Wage garnishment
  • Interception of tax returns
  • Suspended driver’s license
  • Confiscation of passport
  • Contempt of court charges
  • Jail time

When past-due nonpayment cases are serious they can be referred to the criminal nonsupport unit in your county. Special prosecutors deal with noncustodial parents who pay support for more than 26 out of 104 weeks, or who owe more than $5,000 in back payments.

Experienced Family Law Attorneys Serving Columbus, Ohio

Whether you are a custodial parent seeking resolution of unpaid child support, or a noncustodial parent in need of representation, the family law attorneys at Mowery Youell & Galeano, Ltd., can advise you on the best course of action.

Call us at our Dublin offices at 614-467-4923, or use this online form to ask our lawyers questions you may have.